Friday 15 October 2010

England And It's Love/Hate Relationship

For some living in this country is dull and boring and maybe for them it is. It is also possible that they can't see the beauty in front of them! Our country due to it's climate has the craziest mood swings and I am lucky enough to live by the sea and so see these mood swings on a daily basis. The sea is something that I have always lived next to and took for granted. It was only when I was traveling into Brighton everyday that I found what it was I really loved about this country.

Unlike some I have never holidayed abroad with my parents. I went to Spain with friends and a friends family and I went to Kenya on a church mission trip during the drought. All my holidays with my parents though were in the caravan in some random field in the middle of no where. My sister grew to dislike the holidays turning into a city girl through and through but I had already gone way opposite to that.

There is so much of our country that is beautiful! The wildlife, the scenery and the history! We are blessed to be living in a country of such history. I have ever since I can remember been a member of the National Trust. These have also got to have been some of the best days out of my life. I practically grew up at Stourhead we went there on holiday so often. I learnt to walk there and had my first birthday there! It is also it's most beautiful at this time of year as all the leaves on the tree's start to change colour. It is stunning and breathtakingly beautiful. The same can be said for many places, if you actually take a moment to stop and look you can see how beautiful this country truly is.

Of course like many I can also dislike this country, though that is completely down to people and politics. I work with children and I know what they are like now and I do not want to bring my children up in school's where seven year old's talk about having sex. Then I know that in a village school the innocence of childhood still remains safe, so maybe there are still places of refuge in this country.

I have thought many a time about leaving the country and moving somewhere else. My heart would take me to Africa any day. However I would miss this country, I would miss the seasons and the animals that come with them. The foxes that are seen out on the downs along with all those rabbits! I would miss taking my dog for a walk and being able to show my boyfriend a green woodpecker and explain how you can recognise it by it's flight pattern. I love this country so much, I love the wildlife so much and though sometimes it seems that the big cats of Africa would be so much more interesting... I look out the window and something will catch my eye. I have found working in Firle some mornings this happens more often then not when the crows start making a noise there is always a buzzard or a red kite.

There is so much in this country we take for granted but sometimes all we need to do is go outside and look up and there will be something enough to make one appreciate what they have. Our country isn't all that bad, if you ignore all the politics and everything. Just admire the gift we have been given and realise how privileged we are to live in such a beautiful country.

No comments:

Post a Comment